[TowerTalk] water in EMT conduit

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Feb 26 18:51:56 EST 2013

On 2/26/2013 12:22 PM, r miles wrote:

> It comes from the temp. change especially during large ground temp.
> changes due to warm,cold fronts etc.

it doesn'y have to be ground temo changes although the help

Just atmospheric and temp changes cause the conduit to breathe.
Trying to seal the conduit will almost guarantee moisture condensation.

I leave the conduit open on both ends, except one end is in the basement
and the other in a large NEMA box.  The conduit can breayh freely which
helps get rid of moisture and prevents it from becoming trapped.

> If it was very deep it might not condense but it has to bring cables to
> the surface into an area where the ground temps vary.

If the conduit is below the air temp, you will get condensation.

73

Roger  (K8RI)