[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing...

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 6 23:02:52 EST 2013

My 2 cents, having two HDX589s and a TMM433.

I don't think you need a thrust bearing, if your tower has the welded in
sleeve for a 2" mast. I think this is standard on all the current UST
crank-ups.

The sleeve will handle side loads well beyond the TX438 rated wind load
and your rotator will handle the weight load.

I had a TB3 on 85' of Rohn 25 a while ago, and it failed.  If you don't
have a sleeve and need a bearing to handle side (radial) loads then I
think boring a mast sized hole in a top plate of 2" thick MDS Nylon
(Nylatron GS) or UHMW is a better approach.  A polymer sleeve bearing
will last a long time at the antenna rotational speeds and loads and
requires no maintenance.  Both materials are UV sensitive, but not much
of a worry in 2" thickness, or just paint them.  I've found remnants on
ebay at good prices.

Grant  KZ1W