[TowerTalk] DX Engineering coax prep tool

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 11 18:44:18 EST 2013

On 1/11/2013 1:22 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> I bought one of the DX Engineering coax prep tools (the black plastic clampy
> thingy with the round finger hole).
>
> I¹m using it with the right insert (yellow RG-213) for the right coax
> (RG-213), yet the back blade, the one that¹s supposed to take off only the
> black jacket, won¹t stop before cutting braid, too. I¹ve backed it out with
> the adjustment screw as much as I can and it still cuts braid.
>
> Am I missing something or is this just a POS?

It should work fine.  I have several of these and no pronlems,

I'm assuming it's pointed the correct way (not always evident)
NOTE: when you back out a screw (depth adjustment) the blade often has
to be pushed up against the screw. Don't damage the blade

Back the adjustment out, then adjust it in until it just cuts the
jacket.  You may not need to cut the jacket entirely through. Just score
it deeply enough so that bending the coax slightly will seperate the jacket

However, getting all the blades cutting to the proper depth can
sometimes be a real PITA if the tool has gotten completely out of
adjustment.

73 and good luck

Roger (K8RI)