[TowerTalk] HamIV Rotor HUM

Tony Brock-Fisher barockteer at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 12:13:19 EST 2013

I had the same problem with several Hy-Gain rotors here.

The problem is a ground loop formed by the high current AC return line
from the rotator, which can return either via the rotor cable, or via
the tower ground, to your house 3rd wire ground, through the ground pin
of the AC plug on the controller box. Some of this current finds its way
into the radio audio circuits.

My simple fix was to install a 'cheater' plug adapter on the control box
line cord, with the ground tab NOT connected to anything. This breaks
the ground loop and forces all the current to return through the cable.

Try it - you'll be amazed!

-Tony, K1KP

p.s. please, no comments about the safety of this approach!