[TowerTalk] Linear Resonator

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 11:07:30 EST 2013

I have a half wave base fed vertical antenna spaced about 4ft from a grounded tower with insulated guys. Although the tower is physically about 5/8 wavelength high, it is quite wide and I suspect that it is actually close to being 3/4 wave resonant. Obviously there is considerable coupling between the vertical and the tower, and if the latter is doing much of the radiating, my power is heading skywards which I do not want!

I am considering putting a linear resonator (as described by Moxon, G6XN, and others) at the base of the tower so that it becomes effectively an UN-grounded tower. This would be quite simple to do practically - at least if it ever gets warm again.

There are a number of  UHF and VHF antennas on the tower. The coax outers of the cables to these are all connected to the tower at top and bottom, and all the cables run along tower legs. It is not realistic to put linear resonators on each of these feeds, but I feel/hope that they are so closely coupled to the tower that they are effectively part of the structure.

My question is: Am I right in thinking that a single linear resonator on the tower itself will be sufficient?

If I am not it makes the whole project a non starter.

Comments appreciated.

73 Roger
VE3ZI