[TowerTalk] Hose Clamps

Wayne Kline w3ea at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:05:54 EST 2013

Hi Jerry    I don't know the manufacture of the hose clamps MFJ include in the antennas .  But I have assembled many Hi-Gain Telex antennas over the years. I only use IDEAL  all stainless hose clamps. I buy mine at the local plumbing /heating supply Hose Winestine inc.  You have to buy in Box lot so YMMV as to you need. Use a 1/4 drive ratchet and nut driver to tighten the clamp screw.  I never stripped a 5/16 headed 1/2" or up to 1 1/2 " using that method.  I have over tightened the 1/4" to 3/8 " mini clamps  BUT in there defense it was  I  who was to aggressive with the ratchet wrench.  Another cause of the need to crank down and over tighten the band clamp, is the excessive amount of Noalox ( or any other ant oxidation ) compound.  All you need is a Film,  wipe it on  and with another rag wipe it off.  There will be enough left (  for a test  try to wash it off you hands ! )  You will then be able to tighten the clamp and secure the element inserted inside with out over tightening the hose clamp   Wayne W3EA