[TowerTalk] Tower trailers?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 31 00:07:52 EST 2013

Here are some alternatives, depending on the antenna loads, height, vehicle.

- used boom truck (maybe <$10k if you shop around) check ebay,
craigslist and bidadoo auctions
- commercial tower trailer ($10k and up, saw a 100 footer (guyed) at
auction that had collapsed - ugly) google tower trailers
- push up mast on a truck hitch or guyed in the bed (a friend does this
for VHF contest roving, 20' Al flag pole from Harbor Freight, $50 plus
some fabrication)
- winch up mast on truck hitch (I built a 37', 2 sections x 20' that
tilts over forward on my 3/4 ton GMC, about $600 in materials plus
fabrication)
- DIY tower on a trailer (designed for Field Day but not built for
HDD433 on a 20' flatbed trailer - have both, and it needs outriggers for
stability)
- rental fold up towable boom lift (about $300/day), but I doubt it
would trailer well off road, 500# lift capacity and needs very flat
ground for outriggers or the computer keeps you grounded. check local
rental yards.
- used TV/video van with 35' compressed air Wil-Burt mast (worked on one
donated to a non profit club, KABC obsoleted it when they moved to HD)

Grant KZ1W