[TowerTalk] Lightning protection

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 8 09:28:18 EDT 2013

On 7/8/13 5:28 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> My answeris simple - It is not cost-effective. They are using extensive
> lightning grounding at the tower base, and purpose-built transmitter
> buildings with elaborate grounding systems. 24/7/365 costs.

Exactly..
They are also facing a very different cost/benefit analysis than the
typical ham.  They pay a LOT more for the assembly and construction
labor than most hams do, so something like using AWG 2 instead of AWG 6
doesn't make a lot of difference in the overall construction cost.

And, their "cost of non-availability" can be substantially higher.  If
an FAA control tower is off the air, that's a big problem and it gets a
lot of attention.

> ask me whether a direct strike while connected would result in <5 volts

That's the other thing.  Equipment designed for 24/7/52 kinds of usage
tends to be more rugged, and it tends to be "single frequency".

  Ham receivers, for instance, don't do things like put clamp devices on
the receiver input for overvoltage protection, because it degrades the
IMD performance with strong signals.  A commercial operation can put a
big notch or bandpass filter to knock down that strong AM station, but
that doesn't work when you want to tune over the entire HF band.

Equipment made for this application also tends to be more robust for the
data and control and power connections. You won't see a connector with a
pin connected directly to the microcontroller inside, like you do in
cost sensitive ham gear.  It will go through some sort of buffer, most
likely with decent transient suppression, at the cost of perhaps slower
data rates (and significantly more money).