[TowerTalk] Lightning protection (N3AE)

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Jul 8 14:55:16 EDT 2013

You can't out guess lightning but... grounding the feeders may dissipate
the static charge eliminating or reducing the severity of any strike.  At
worst it would not help and your loss would be the same.

I can recall as a high school student when flying U-control model aircraft
on stainless steel control lines connected to a plastic handle,  the static
electricity would build up and discharge across the air gap to my hand.  I'd
fly low till the engine died from fuel starvation or run the prop into weeds
to kill the engine if the static were particularly troubling or a
thunderstorm was approaching.

I received suggestions to run a ground wire from the control handle to the
ground to avoid taking the arcs to my hand.  I declined in favor of trying
to avoid conditions generating significant discharges up to and including
putting a towel between two stakes and deliberately flying into the towed to
kill the engine as the prop got tangled.

Some of the suggestions here about lightning protection reminded me of the
suggestions I got but thought better of.

Patrick AF5CK