[TowerTalk] Lightning protection

Art Greenberg artg at artg.tv
Tue Jul 9 09:14:56 EDT 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013, Steve Maki wrote:

> On 7/8/2013 6:50 PM, K8RI wrote:
>
>> I can't get rid of the wired network. wireless isn't fast enough for
>> large file transfers and I do a lot of photography with typically 8 to
>> 10 terabytes on each of 4 computers.  Unfortunately even a gigabit
>> network is slow when talking this much data.  OTOH  I've reached the
>> point where the computers I/O is now the limiting factor.
>
> Go optical fiber.
>
> -Steve K8LX

Steve,

Can you offer suggestions as to how to make fiber practical for a DIYer? I
would love to run fiber from my barn to the house, a run of about 100
meters in buried ENT.

Bulk FO direct-bury cable, connectors and media converters are sort of
affordable, especially given the advantages over copper.

The problem seems to be fitting the connectors to the cable. I have not
found a source for pre-assembled direct bury cable, and I am not certain
that I would be able to pull it through the conduit anyway. Tool kits for
the purpose are way out of reach, and I have not found a rental source. I
do know a couple of folks with training and tools, but they're not
interested in just applying the connectors, and will not help me pull
cable that I sourced. Paying one of these guys for the entire installation
is just plain not affordable.

--
Art Greenberg
WA2LLN