[TowerTalk] Sourcing PVC

Art Greenberg art at artg.tv
Thu Jul 11 12:35:04 EDT 2013

OK, I'm sure this is all confusing to the OP. I know it was for me until I
dug into it a bit. I am using PVC for a wood shop application, and I
needed large diameter and light weight. Schedule 40 would have been just
too darned heavy. I originally wanted to use the ASTM-D2729 pipe, as it
was very thin wall and therefore very light. I'd used it very sucessfully
in my shop in NJ, and now that I'm setting up my new shop in FL and I have
some left over fittings for it, I figured I'd use the same stuff.

I don't know why anyone would want to slip one PVC pipe into another,
unless its to make a mast. If its for a plumbing or conduit application,
IMO you're better off using standard fittings. And if its a conduit
application, DWV fittings make more sense than pressure fittings. For
example, a DWV wye is a much better choise then a pressure T, and a DWV
large radius sweep is better than a pressure elbow.

Here's the important thing about IPS sizing: The outside diameter is the
same for all IPS pipe of a given trade size. And its the pipe OD that
matters when you're looking for fittings. So a coupling made for 4-inch
SCH40 will work on any other 4-inch IPS pipe, be it SCH80, SDR-21 or
SDR-64, or anything in between. DWV and pressure fittings all fit. The
inside diameter of the pipe varies, which doesn't affect standard fittings
in any way. The number in "SDR-xx" is the ratio of OD to thickness of the
pipe wall. So a 6-inch SDR-64 pipe has a wall thickness of 6.625/64 =
0.103 inches.

And BTW, that "SDR-61" in my original messages should have been "SDR-64",
there is no SDR-61.

There is a complete listing of IPS dimensions in this brochure from JM
Eagle:

http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/2008%20Brochures/IPS%20Pressure_web.pdf

ASTM-D2729 pipe (sometimes called "S&D" pipe) and SDR-35 (often green in
color) are not an IPS pipe and you have to get the fittings made
specifically for them. That's not awful, it just might be a little harder
to find, especially in the larger sizes, and you can't use electrical
conduit fittings (boxes, sweeps, L-bodies, etc.) with it.  The big box
stores here seem to have a reasonable selection in the 4-inch size. The OD
of S&D and SDR-35 is the same.

As for Ferguson, permit me a short rant. Yes, they show ASTM-D2729 pipe in
6-inch and 4-inch size available. I tried getting some of the 6-inch from
Ferguson Water Works in Ocala (directed there by the local Ferguson
plumbing store in Gainesville), and I quickly discovered that they really
didn't have time for me, as I didn't want to buy a truckload of the stuff.
They did not have it in stock and they flat out refused to bring it in
from other Ferguson locations that had it. OTOH, the local Ferguson
plumbing shop here in Gainesville has many IPS fittings in stock and can
get those not in stock very quickly. The only downside is they were REALLY
expensive compared to the big box stores. Sometimes as much as 3:1. But
the big box stores don't carry some of the fittings I wanted, like large
radius sweeps for 6-inch pipe.

I ended up getting 6-inch SDR-41 pipe from a local irrigation supply. They
had no problem selling retail and cheerfully accepted my small order and
delivered 20-foot lengths to my house without charge. Unfortunately they
could not source the SDR-64 for me. And they could not get the fittings I
wanted.