[TowerTalk] Outide Plant fiber cost was: Lightning protection

Art Greenberg art at artg.tv
Fri Jul 12 08:50:37 EDT 2013

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013, Art Greenberg wrote:

> David did point to one on-line shop that does, which I missed. They
> don't give pricing on line, but claim a good selection and even offer to
> install a pull eye. I'll have to call them.

For those that are interested ...

I did receive a quote. Almost $600 for 100m of multimode 50/125 outside
plant, 6 strand, SC/SC terminated, one pull eye.

Vendor says 6 strand is the minimum count for OP cable.

Add about $300 for two media converters.

I don't know if 6 strand with terminations will make it through the 1-inch
schedule 40 conduit.

I think I'll try copper with surge protectors and perhaps sacrificial
switches at each end. That will come in at about 1/3 the cost, even using
good quality STP Cat6. It will be interesting to see if I can get gigabit
speed over that distance.

--
Art Greenberg
WA2LLN