[TowerTalk] cascading RCS-12

Larry Loen lwloen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 11:03:58 EDT 2013

Not yet, but I plan to for my remote operation.

I haven't done it, but it appears to be easy to replace the control boxes
on units like this with relays which, in turn, trigger the RF relays in the
switch.  In my case, I would have one inside and then one outside at the
tower (I have places other than my tower where antenna are or will go).

Cascading them seems easy enough.  In your case, you might deploy three of
them -- six antenna wires come from the first and the last two go to the
other two units.  That gives you six more wires on each of the
secondaries.  You'd have three seven conductor control lines all the way
back to the shack.

If you have two _input_ coaxes, there are similar products that allow a lot
of options for switching between them with a lot of antennas.  If that
works, so should this (says the man in the planning stages).

Unless you have some special function like that, it all seems
straightforward enough to me.  Can you stand the insertion losses?  I think
your RCS unit (unlike some of the others) is good to 50 MHz with decent
insertion loss.

You might need to introduce a little PTT delay somewhere to make sure
everybody triggers, but we already have to do that for things like
transverters and amplifiers.

Larry Wo0Z

PS, in my case, doing it inside the house seems a rather nice way of
getting true, multiple line RF relays done.