[TowerTalk] Ground rod

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 00:56:46 EDT 2013

On 7/16/13 8:45 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Please explain why.  I understand why the rebar should not penetrate the
> soil/concrete interface, but I don't understand at all why a copper wire
> shouldn't.

small crack with capillary action. The thermal coefficient of expansion
is also different, so you have the possibility of the crevice getting
bigger and smaller with every thermal cycle.  Once you get liquid water
in there, then you have all sorts of potential problems. Above grade,
you don't get water standing at the join, so the problem is less than
below grade.

I suppose that a AWG4 copper wire sticking out is probably less of a
problem than a 1/2" steel rebar. Smaller area to worry about, copper is
less corrodable than iron, etc.

And you see small steel wires and nails sticking out (e.g. from forms
that have been stripped off, etc.) so it's probably not a killer.