[TowerTalk] Boom Supports

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Jul 17 12:55:28 EDT 2013

On 7/17/2013 11:27 AM, John Lemay wrote:
> Chuck
>
> Your proposal is perfectly sound. A number of commercial manufacturers use
> this approach. You want to keep the weight to a minimum at the top of the
> mast, so use aluminium, not steel.
>
> The great advantage of putting the support "pylon" on the mounting plate is
> that you can pre-tension the support ropes before installation, and get the
> boom nice and straight. Note that some ropes will stretch more than others
> over time so you might want to test it at ground levels for a day or two.
>
> John G4ZTR
<snip>

The old 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi with near a 30' boom uses a tube like this.
  Tube, or angle Mounted to the mounting plat extending up in this case
about 3 or 4 feet and use 1/2" or 5/8" tube for the truss.  I replaced
the truss with the small Phillystran. As John said, you can tension it
before installation.

73

Roger (K8RI)