[TowerTalk] Tower grounding

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 17 15:52:30 EDT 2013

Building codes now REQUIRE Ufer grounds in many jurisdictions for new
foundations.  Codes also REQUIRE that rebar be covered with concrete,
usually a minimum of 3" to prevent corrosion ingress along the rods.  So
it is reasonable to extrapolate that ground wires connected to the rebar
should not exit the concrete below grade and certainly ground rods into
soils shouldn't be embedded in structural concrete below grade.  Per
codes, buried connections need to be brazed or Cadweld.  Foundation
Ufer's are connected to by bending the end of a 20' rebar to above top
of the footing so the connecting ground wire isn't buried and the
connection can be inspected.

I've read about some ground rods installed into concrete cylinders to
increase the soil contact surface area, but don't know how widely this
is used.

Grant KZ1W