[TowerTalk] Tower grounding

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 18 09:29:38 EDT 2013

"extrapolation" may have been a poor word choice, but my reasoning is
that copper pipes are not buried without special precautions for
domestic water service because of corrosion.  Another reason is that the
galvanic cells and/or stray currents that exist in soils can cause
electrolytic erosion.  Copper clad ground rods are known to have finite
life, sometimes quite short in certain soils.  Some concrete mixtures
were a disaster with buried radiant heating copper tubes and that
application now very rarely uses copper in concrete. There are
discussions on this reflector that AM broadcast station copper ground
screens disappear over time. Copper alloys in marine environments are
protected with sacrificial anodes or impressed voltage systems.  Copper
in air lasts a long time, in an electrolytic or hostile chemical
environment not so.

So, why expose a Ufer ground lead to what might be an environment that
significantly shortens its life, particularly if it isn't possible to
inspect it?  As I have read the Ufer literature and codes, steel rebar
is the conductor, not buried copper wire, and the connection is to a
protected rebar exit point from the concrete.

wikipedia re Ufer: "Ufer's original grounding scheme used copper encased
in concrete. However, the high pH of concrete often causes the copper to
chip and flake. For this reason, steel is often used instead of copper."

see http://www.psihq.com/iread/ufergrnd.htm and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufer_ground

Grant KZ1W