[TowerTalk] Tower grounding

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Jul 18 15:43:50 EDT 2013

I didn't say it wasn't possible to do so.  I said that the majority of
residential Ufer grounds in the footing bring the ground wire up to the
breaker panel from outside the footing.  E3508.1.2 of the IRC gives
almost the same description of a Ufer as you quoted below, and neither
specify that the connecting electrode conductor needs to exit the
concrete above grade.  In fact, those same codes specify that grounded
electrodes formed by simple ground rods must be below the surface of the
soil in order to physically protect the wire at the connection to the
ground rod (unless other means are in place to protect it).

If still in doubt, check out Exhibit 250.27 of the NEC for examples of
accepted grounding systems, some of which leave the concrete below grade.

Dave   AB7E