[TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants (K8RI)

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jul 25 13:45:31 EDT 2013

Jim Thomson wrote:

> ##  Very clever !   I did it the other way with 3 x DPST relays and 6 x

Thanks, it works great for me.

> coils,
> 3 per leg. Then ant cut for the high end of each band.   How big are
> the CDE  MC series if caps ?  Are they mica ?   They would have to handle
> 5-6A of rf.   And with 3 x relays, you end up with a total of 8 segments.

Look them up on Digikey:

Digikey SKU:  338-1134-ND
Mfr P/N:  MC22FF102J-F'

About a 1/4 inch square, rated at 10 amps, 1000V.  These are not your
grandfather's WWII surplus transmitting micas.  These are state of
the art micas.  The availability of these is what really enables
this architecture.  It could of course be built with legacy caps,
but it would be clunky.

> ##  watch out though. On any loaded ant, like my half size 80m rotary
> dipole,

My inverted vee's are full size.

> Later...... Jim  VE7RF

Rick N6RK