[TowerTalk] How high is enough

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Wed Jul 31 03:41:31 EDT 2013

Something similar here - it formed the basis of my QST article "What's
the best height for my beam?" in the May 2009 edition.
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/height_2/

Look in particular at the chart in Section 2 - it shows how relative
performance changes vs height with path and band. Clearly, you can't
talk about an optimum height for a multiband antenna without defining
what you mean by optimum.

A further important consideration is whether a particular height puts a
deep null in the elevation pattern at an angle where you may sometimes
be trying to work. It might be worth sacrificing a dB or two at some
angles in order to avoid a 20dB null at others.

Steve G3TXQ