[TowerTalk] How high is enough

John Langdon jlangdon at outer.net
Wed Jul 31 05:32:09 EDT 2013

Rule of thumb, IMHO only, is that with an antenna below 1/4 wave you are
coupling a lot of your signal to ground losses, not sending it off to be
heard, and what you are sending out is at relatively high angles, not likely
to be compatible the best 'hops' to the DX.

But in some locations, that is all you can manage. Fifty feet is the
beginning of the 'happy zone' for a tri-bander, usually.

1/2 wave is where things start to work pretty well, and higher may be
better, but YMMV based on location. If you are on a hill with a nicely
sloping foreground, you can get too high.

The HFTA program from the ARRL Antenna Book will let you plot the local
topography of your QTH, and give you a statistical summary of the 'hops'
from your place to common DX locations, and let you pick antenna height(s)
that maximize your signals to those places. Even if you are on a flat
plateau, it helps to know the distances and most likely takeoff angles to
the desired stations   Here in central Texas, for example, a low antenna at
30' or so will give you the better results into South America than a high
one, but for VU, the opposite is true.

Seldom, if ever, is one height best all around, and having low and high
antennas that you can switch is often very useful.

73 John N5CQ