[TowerTalk] How high is enough

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Jul 31 08:12:40 EDT 2013

An antenna at 50' will work. Your subject "How high is enough" suggest
that you are looking for some compromise between performance and tower
height. Only you can make that decision. Certainly you could install a 70'
tower instead of a 50' one on your small lot if you really wanted to. K9YC
suggested reading the ARRL Antenna Book. This is a great suggestion! If
you can find W2PV's (sk) yagi book there is also a lot of information
there regarding yagi radiation angle relative to height. Regarding the
question is a SteppIR 80m dipole better than a wire one, the answer is
again not simple.  A true full size horizontal dipole at the same height
should be more efficient than a loaded one, however you cannot turn the
wire dipole or adjust it for the segment of the band that you are using.

John KK9A