[TowerTalk] Lightning damage?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Jun 3 00:56:03 EDT 2013

The pictures are clearly of long term charring - not short
term "flashing".  The damage is much more like running extended
AM or RTTY at power levels above the design specification of the
antenna or operation well off frequency - e.g. MARS operation
into an antenna configured for the Amateur bands using a "tuner".

Again, there is nothing in any of the pictures which would even
suggest a "flash over" - particularly on the *outside* which would
be most exposed to lightning.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV