[TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589 cables

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Jun 12 12:13:43 EDT 2013

Gee, I missed any lube-not lube debate but read the recommendations of the
major tower manufacturers, all of which I saw were against lubing the cable.
Overhead door companies around here all recommend against lubing the rollers
on the doors for the same stated reason as the tower makers and cables, it
attracts grit which accelerates wear.

I don't want to open up any old wounds on this topic but...

What about liberal coating with silicone lube, the spray that is dry after a
little time. That would make things slippery and reduce inter-winding
friction/wear.  This is what the "smart" folks do with their overhead door
hardware.

Also, anyone care to offer an opinion of stainless steel cable vs galvanized
steel cable as regards longevity, price/performance, or any other figure of
merit?

PM me if you are concerned with opening up an old wound.

Patrick