[TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Jun 14 16:08:53 EDT 2013

>  I am missing something here as US Tower advises against  lubricating
cables.

    The LXC Prime Directive still applies - to  "DO what the manufacturer
says". In this case, UST is NOT the manufacturer of  the wire rope. Actual
wire rope manufacturers do indeed recommend lubricating  the cables. In this
case the tower manufacturer is wrong. Remember that tower  companies are
insurance driven enterprises and they are reluctant to give you  much in the way
of info due to liability risk exposure. In this case IMO their  advice is
more designed to keep you from climbing around on their tower than  actual PM
advice.

>  What are you gaining by lubricating cable?

    The strands rub against each other when the  cable is moving. That's
why you want to LUBRICATE them. Many crank-ups groan and  make noise as
they're raised. After lubricating them, everything is very  quiet.   Commercial
applications are used hundreds if not thousands of  times more than your
typical ham crank-up so neglecting to lube the  crank-up cables isn't a fatal
problem.

>  I my opinion if a un-lubricated galvanized cable shows  signs of rust,
it is time to replace it.

    See other recent post related to cable  replacement.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams
Author of UP THE TOWER - The Complete Guide To Tower Construction