[TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

Ken Beals kabeals at live.com
Sun Jun 16 18:58:52 EDT 2013

Been following this thread with interest even though I don’t own a crank up.

Here is a question for the MEs in the group from a decidedly non-mechanical EE: Why would “taking the strain off of the cable” do anything to prolong the life of the cable? Since the only wear mechanism I see is the flexing of the strands and the internal friction when the cable bends over the pulley when moving. I can only relate a stationary cable to those used on suspension bridges. Those seem to last a long time. So I can’t see the advantage of section locks with respect to cable life.

I installed towers for a while when I was much younger and I remember that Tri-Ex had an option to add locks to both guyed and self supporting crankups They were different since their guyed towers raised one section at a time rather than all sections equally as a SS tower does.

Ken K6MR