[TowerTalk] Control of ICE 419A Bandpass Filter

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 20 15:34:08 EDT 2013

On 6/20/2013 12:15 PM, Allen Brier N5XZ wrote:
> I will be getting an ICE 419A Bandpass filter soon at a good price. Wondering what is the best way to control it with a K3. Suggestions?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the "good price" for ICE
419-series filters is free.  Several common problems.

#1, the relays get very flaky, and are hard to replace.  Spraying them
with the "right" contact cleaner is about the best you can do.

#2, the filters don't handle anything close to rated power, and even
relatively small SWR (1.5:1) makes it worse.  It's common for them to
fail (blown capacitors) with 100W.  They'll probably be OK at the 40-50W
level needed to drive an amp.

#3, even when they're working they're not great filters.

#4, every ICE filter I've ever bought, new or used, was out of alignment
(high SWR, tuning not right).  A filter that is out of alignment is more
likely to fry.

73, Jim K9YC