[TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?

John Lemay john at carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 14:08:17 EDT 2013

When the tower is vertical the wind will exert a force, in which the
critical factors are wind speed and area of steelwork presented to the wind.

When the tower "lays over" gravity exerts a force on the mass of the tower
(plus aerials, rotators etc).

Given the variables of wind speed, tower size, aerial array etc, the
original question can't be answered without much more info.

However, I have a Versatower here which "lays over" at about the 6ft height,
and it is held down by four epoxy anchors. It's been in position for around
15 years.

I chose the epoxy anchors when I learned that the same fixings were used by
the highway authority to fix safety fence (crash barrier) to bridges.

It's tough work drilling the holes (you should worry if it is not), and
crucial to make sure the hole is free of dust and moisture.

John G4ZTR