[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Screw Anchor Experience

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jun 22 02:59:29 EDT 2013

On 6/22/2013 12:27 AM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
> I believe the screw anchor is good enough by itself to act grounding rod. I, myself, did not put any grounding rods at the guy anchors but I used nine (9) grounding rods around the foot of the tower. These rod are not copper rods but galvanized steel. I also have galvanizes steel rods holding the tower in place. I think I have enough grounding. I, needless to say, do not have enough for a direct hit though. Who does?

The guy anchor should not serve as a ground for any thing, so it should
not need a ground rod either.

The guy, if metal,should have an insulator near the anchor, preventing
the anchor as serving as a ground.

Several of us have stated the circuit consisting of ground, tower, guy,
guy anchor, and ground must be broken with an insulator, preventing the
round rod as serving as a battery that eats itself up by serving as one
of the electrodes. If this is done there is no need for a sacrificial
electrode.

Keeping it simple is often the most reliable.

73

Roger (K8RI)