[TowerTalk] What rotor should I use

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Jun 25 13:32:57 EDT 2013

On 6/25/2013 1:20 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Joe Nuccio wrote:
>> I have a US Tower MA-40, a MARB and MAF. I also have a SteppIR 3-element
>> beam. What rotor do I need?
>
>> One knowledgeable person about rotors has suggested thatSteppIR's put a
>>
>> lot of torque back and forth on rotors. He thinks a HAM-IV will
>> getdestroyed

I'll start by saying I don't like rotators that use wedge brakes.

That said, I've used Ham IVs on 5L 20-meter KLMs which have a 42'boom
IIRC and never had a problem.  Just use common sense "for the antenna's
sake and don't drop the brake while turning at spreed.

There is nothing monstrous about the steppIR, but it is flexible.

73

Roger (K8RI)