[TowerTalk] Thrust bearings

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 14:44:46 EST 2013

>  Let's suppose the rotor's specs will take that compressive  weight.
Wouldn't logic indicate that, regardless, it will last longer if we  don't
press all that weight on the rotor 24 by 7, forever?

    Do your car wheel bearings wear out because  there is weight on them
24-7>

>  Moreover, the clamp that comes with even my M2 Orion rotor  is not rated
the
best by many on this list.  There's a better  replacement but (so far) out
of stock.  Until I can get it replaced, it  seems likely to last longer if
_it_ doesn't have to deal with the compressive  load, at least, especially
as it seems plausible to me that ordinary physics  will transfer some of
that downward load from side to side (e.g. a strong  wind) sometimes.

    The fact is that bearings need some amount of  pre-load to seat and
operate properly. Any wear is from use when it's moving.

    In the Orion manual it says to put ALL of the  weight on the rotator.
You might have missed that.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH