[TowerTalk] Response from Rohn re: TB3 and TB4 thrust bearings.

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Mar 4 11:17:18 EST 2013

In some instances not lubricating bearings is the right thing to do.  For
example, in our environment which is sometimes windy/dusty and becoming more
so due to extreme drought, I was cautioned to not lubricate the bearings in
the roller wheels distributed along each side of my automatic raise/lower
garage doors.  Ditto for my 14 x 14 ft roll-up equipment parking barn doors
and the various laterally opening doors of my hay barn as well.  To do so
invites the collection of abrasive grit and short MTBF lifetimes.  Other
than the dirt/grit issue of bearings that are not sealed I know of no reason
to not lubricate bearings that can be lubricated.  I am also not a
mechanical engineer but have a good friend who has a MS in mech eng from
UCLA and 35 years hands-on experience.  I will pose this issue to him and
report back,  Sealed bearings would be nice as the total revolutions
accumulated over the life of a rotor system is small compared to many other
standard applications.

A  DIY bearing weather cover with custom molded silicone rubber seals would
keep out water and debris.  Mold release spray or even a thin layer of
lubricating grease will keep silicone rubber from adhering where you want it
to slip. A good thick bead of silicone rubber between a DIY bearing cover
and a fixed plate (greased or sprayed with mold release) will make a
silicone rubber seal to keep put water and debris. I haven't done this to
antenna tower thrust bearings but have done so in other applications and it
worked well and lasted a ling time (several years.)

Patrick AF5CK