[TowerTalk] FW: buried radials problem

KM5VI km5vi at flukey.cc
Tue Mar 5 18:23:34 EST 2013

Just a thought...

Could the corrosion on the surface of the steel radial wires be presenting a
high RF impedance (relative to the ground rod path) when dry due to RF skin
effect?  Perhaps either the moisture changes the electrical characteristics
of the surface corrosion or it allows better coupling of the radials to the
ground (still meaning ground losses)?   It always seems to be more
challenging to achieve a decent quality ground plane in dry soils compared
to wet ones...

For what it's worth, corrosion rates on the order of .010" to .020" per year
are not unheard of for mild steel buried directly in certain types of
soils....   which would pretty well destroy a 14ga or 12ga steel wire in
just a few years.

Also - if your ground rod is copper then it could be making your buried
steel wires act like sacrificial anodes since steel has a lower galvanic
potential than copper.  This would tend to accelerate the corrosion rate of
the steel wire.

73
KM5VI