[TowerTalk] Ringo AR2 Problems - a possible solution

jpk5lad at cox.net jpk5lad at cox.net
Mon Mar 11 01:36:12 EDT 2013

Kip --
Although your problem doesn't sound like it
completely matches my solution, it might
depend on the manufacturing age of your
problem ARX2B.

Back in the 1970s I owned a ham store
(Derrick Electronics) and I was a Cushcraft
dealer.  There was a time that they contacted
the dealers and let us know that they had
failed in the manufacture of a batch of these
antennas and had cemented the whole batch
incorrectly.  Nothing you as a user could do
would allow you to bring the SWR down to
1:1, no matter what you tried.  They sent
dealers a new batch according to their store
stock and any you could identify as already
sold from that batch.  We discarded all the
bad ones (at least were supposed to but I
wonder if some may have remained out in the
field.)  I had bought one from that batch for my
own station use and I remember it nearly
drove me crazy until I discovered why and
what was the solution.  After all, what could be
wrong with a Ringo Ranger since they're so
simple?

I tried to remember about when that was and
the nearest I could come up with was perhaps
some time within 1976 to 1978.  Don't hold
me to that date because I've torn an awful lot
of pages off the calendar since then.

If your used antenna is a very (VERY) old
model from that era, that might answer why
you're unable to get it to tune.  If others on the
reflector ever ran across a CushCraft 2 meter
Ringo Ranger which was impossible to tune,
perhaps this will answer their long-term
question too.

Good luck and 73,
Jim - K5LAD

On 10 Mar 2013 at 19:19, Kipton Moravec
wrote:

> I was given a used Ringo ARX2B antenna.
>
> I checked out the manual and set the three measurements to 145 MHz.
> When I tried to tune it, the SWR was 10:1 +/- 50 MHz around 146 Mhz.
>
> The piece of coax looked weathered and I checked it out and it was
> fine with the Ohm Meter and did not seem to change SWR or Ohms when I
> flexed it. But I replaced it anyway.
>
> Found their was no contact through the hair pin to the upper section
> from the Ohm meter. So I replaced the screws and got a good connection
> according to Ohm Meter.
>
> I checked the connections from the end of the coax to all the points
> on the antenna, and it worked as expected with the Ohm Meter. No
> unexpected opens or shorts.
>
> When I tried the analyzer, I still had a 10:1 SWR for +/- 50 MHz
> around 146 MHz.
>
> So now I have disassembled everything and an using emery cloth on all
> the connections and replacing all steel nuts and bolts with stainless,
> and replacing the brass nuts.
>
> What else should I look at before I reassemble?
>
> I really do not understand how I could have such a bad SWR unless I
> had an open or a short -- which I proved I did not have before I
> disassembled. I am not sure what else to look for.
>
> The manual is here:
> http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/ACC_antenna/Cushcraft_ARX2B_user.pd
>
> Kip
> AE5IB

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of
something
stupid to say and then don't say it." -- Sam
Levenson