[TowerTalk] Variable phasing was: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stacking on separate towers, take off angles?

Gene Fuller w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Mon Mar 18 14:00:00 EDT 2013

I built a "Phase Box" with sections 2, 4, and 8 feet long. It can be used
to vary the "phase" between two antennas - e.g. vertical arrays or stacked
arrays, and also as a "Line Flattener" when using an antenna outside it's
acceptable SWR limits. A handy box but takes a lot of relays. When using it
to change the phasing on a stack, especially in the presence of typical HF
QSB, it's hard to notice much, if any, difference until you get to a
significant phase change i.e. at least 50-60 degrees. 180 degrees out and
you really see it!  Stacking an LP with a tribander is interesting since the
effective feed point in the LP moves up and down the boom as you change
bands. The Line Flattener function is useful  when using a solid state
amplifier which requires a pretty well matched load in order to get full
output.

Gene / W2LU