[TowerTalk] Antenna switch

Keith Hanson ac9s at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:54:00 EDT 2013

I had a cheap Ameritron RCS-8 at about 80'  for approximately 25 years with no problems.  It was working well well when I replaced it with a much more expensive DX Engineering unit.  The old Ameritron was really rusty on the bottom, but inside it looked like new.  It might have soldiered on for another 10 years before failing, but I was in a spendy mood.  Note, I had no lightning protection in or on the unit.  I practice "safe Hamming" and disconnect all stations connections including AC and the computer if I am not actually using it.  I have had 4 close strikes, including one house fire.  Luckily I was at  home and had a trial by fire with the extinguisher.  Big pucker factor that time.  Anyway, all my antennas came through all four near misses in fine shape and the old Ameritron never missed a beat.
KeithAC9S