[TowerTalk] Effect of element shape was: Re: InnovAntennas contact info

Dan Hearn n5ardxcc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:34:51 EDT 2013

Information here on this type of antennas
http://www.g0ksc.co.uk/2013-yagis.html . A group of members of our Spokane
DX Association built the loop DE version and confirmed the performance
claimed by G0KSC. They are being sold in the USA by Texas Antennas, the
guys who bought F12

Dan, N5AR

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists at subich.com> wrote:

> > But given current distribution on a dipole, isn't it generally
> > understood that drooping ends have relatively little effect?
>
> "Drooping" ends result in a small amount of vertically polarized
> radiation.  Horizontally folded (or bent) elements result in some
> degree of radiation at 90 degrees (think crossed dipoles) to the main
> lobe.   Since the side lobe structure in a yagi (or phased arrays -
> consider what broadcast stations sometimes need to do to "detune"
> nearby structures) is very sensitive, even a small amount of "off
> axis" radiation can make a significant difference.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 3/20/2013 8:46 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
>
>> But given current distribution on a dipole, isn't it generally
>> understood that drooping ends have relatively little effect?  I guess
>> the Moxon is a special case, where the ends are brought close to each
>> other.
>>
>> 73, Pete N4ZR
>> Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
>> http://reversebeacon.net,
>> blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
>> For spots, please go to your favorite
>> ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
>>
>> On 3/20/2013 7:27 AM, David Robbins wrote:
>>
>>> yes, in a classic yagi with straight and parallel elements that is
>>> true... but when you bend or make the driven element not a simple half
>>> wave dipole then it can have an effect on the pattern by itself.
>>>
>>> Mar 20, 2013 01:18:45 AM, jim at audiosystemsgroup.com wrote:

>>> I was with you until you said "side lobe structure." I don't claim to
>>> know much a bout the design of Yagis, but I'm under the impression that
>>> pattern is largely determined by the tuning and spacing of parasitic
>>> elements. Am I wrong?
>>>
>>> 73, Jim K9YC

Dan Hearn
N5AR