[TowerTalk] InnovAntennas contact info

John Langdon jlangdon at outer.net
Thu Mar 21 10:06:34 EDT 2013

I believe F12 did a 'dare to compare' meme to wake people up to some of the
BS claims that had plagued ham antenna marketing for years, which were a
textbook example of 'brochuremanship' substituting for engineering and clear
benefits. They didn't invent any basic concepts, but they were much franker
and clearer in their materials than most of their competitors. Considered in
the context of the small ham market, they did very well with this campaign.

One example: a very popular big, rugged, heavy 'new design' long boom
multi-band antenna from an 'old line' manufacturer with the new WARC bands
added on that had smooth, wide SWR curves, lots of good looking dBi gain
claims in the marketing material, and in practice on 20-15-10 performed
about the same as the older, shorter, lighter and cheaper 20-15-10
tri-bander. Several hams that put them up told me "I see no improvement on
20-15-10 despite the longer boom. I should have put up dipoles for the WARC
bands!"

The original C3 intro seems to have been targeted directly against this kind
of "rugged, smooth dummy load" competitor.

73 John N5CQ