[TowerTalk] misaligned vertical towers

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 22 08:51:57 EDT 2013

I am planning for a second tower to go up this summer, similar to your
situation.  The current is 150 foot 45.  I used a 3 foot level to set the
base section vertical during the foundation pour.  After the entire tower
was erected, it was visually aligned vertically by adjusting guy turnbuckles
from bottom up.  A slight error shows up big time at each of the 4 guy
points for a 150 footer.  I dropped a plumb bob down the center from the
second guy point (75 feet) one day when the wind was calm.  Came out within
an inch of center at foundation.

My second tower will be located about 200 feet away and will be a 120 foot
55.  I plan to use the same alignment method.  It will be interesting to see
if they appear the same from a distance.

73, Keith NM5G