[TowerTalk] misaligned vertical towers

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Mar 22 10:51:59 EDT 2013

On 3/22/2013 9:36 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 3/21/13 1:00 PM, Steve K7AWB wrote:
>>
>> I have two towers up.  A 90 foot Rohn 45 with a 6-el 20 meter beam on it
>> and
>> a 102 foot Rohn 25 without anything on it yet.  Both are guyed.  In
>> putting
>> them up, a group of us used a Loos tension meter and our eyesight at the
>> bottom of each tower to make them vertical.
>>
>> But when I look and align the two towers next to each other by walking
>> around until they are "next" to
>> each other, one or both are off vertically with respect to each other.
>>
>> How do I figure which is straight and which is off or maybe both are
>> slight off?
>> I really don't want to climb them now in the bad weather and drop a plumb
>> bob and do not have a survey level.  They are really 135 feet apart.
>>

> How far off from vertical are they?  You might not care.   A foot at 90
> feet is less than a degree. The loads won't be appreciably different.

Darn, you beat me to it.  <:-))
Unless they are off substantially you will probably never notice the
difference unless you are a perfectionist and not being lined up
perfectly bothers you.

I have spent hours on building things to get them "just right" that
really made no difference in the end except I had every thing lined
upp...just right.

73

Roger (K8RI)

that really made no difference > K7NV's website
(http://k7nv.com/notebook/towerstudy/towerstudy1.html)