[TowerTalk] LMR degradation

Jim Hoge knowkode at verizon.net
Mon Mar 25 00:42:53 EDT 2013

Today I discovered that I have had environmental ingress beneath the outer jacket of some ~8 year old LMR-400. What I saw was a white powder like substance between the woven shield and the foil. Also, the foam dielectric had become hard as a rock. The length of hardening appeared to be on par with what I have seen in 213 type coaxial cables with regard to the funky green goo that was once the dielectric. I have other LMR cables of similar age and it is assumed in like condition. I have the stock to make up new cables and will do so. While I haven't noticed a change in their performance, perhaps because of the slow degradation process, I wonder just how bad they really are. Besides weatherproofing issues, any comments?

73,
Jim W5QM