[TowerTalk] leaning towers

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 26 09:03:58 EDT 2013

On 3/25/13 9:04 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> Why not just rent one Steve?  Then you can see what your needs are
> before you buy one?
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Steve K7AWB
> Thanks to everyone for the advice in confirming a tower is straight up
> vertically.  I think I will buy a transit, but need advice in which one
> some
> of you have bought and used for this event, if any.  For instance, at
> Lowes.com, there are several CST/Burger ones, but it is  hard to determine
> the differences between them and which ones will do the job I need to do
> with it.  I have no problem spending around $300 or so for a level, but I
> want it to do the job.  And maybe later I can use it to install a 4-square.

Very much so.. rent one (or borrow one). or at least go try it out (I'm
not sure the tool cage at HD or Lowes is the optimum place for this)

Do you need a level, or do you want something that can measure vertical
angles (transit/theodolite).  Do you want something with stadia marks
(so you cam measure distance by looking at a suitably marked rod)?

Used equipment is also available, and often a very good deal. Some time
ago, I would have said "look in the yellow pages under surveying
equipment", but these days it's a bit trickier; check online.  It's very
helpful if you can go to the surveying store (as it were) and try stuff out.

You'll also need a decent tripod (inexpensive aluminum tripods are about
$60-80). If you're doing leveling, you also probably need a rod of some
sort.  If you're looking to save money, you can get what looks like a
giant tape measure with the graduations on it that you attach to a 2x4
or similar.  The problem is whether your "rod support" is straight enough.