[TowerTalk] LMR degradation

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Mar 26 16:24:54 EDT 2013

On 3/26/2013 3:03 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
> I find this interesting, especially Bill K4XS' comments.  My comments...
>
> LMR400UF has a thermoplastic elastomer jacket that is good for
> "in excess of 10 years" outdoors.

Experience from a number os has come no where near that. Mine was pretty
well shot after less than 6 years and this is Michigan which is not
exactly noted for lot of or intense sunshine.

It certainly does not feel like a thermo plastic,  It's quite rubber
like and is a real PITA to strip with regular strippers as it bunches up
and does not cling to the braid/shield.  Strips well with a plain old
box cutter.

  Most of the other LMR400s use a
> PE or PVC jacket that're supposedly good for 20 years outdoors.
> Apparently, Times' marketing department is... ahem... stretching
> the truth a bit!

So far I've had good luck with the regular cables

> I've used the DX Engineering DXE-400MAX and Davis RF BuryFlex400 stuff.
> It has a Type III PE jacket and has been fine for nearly 10 years
> (so far). In another 10 years, I'll let you know if it lasts 20 years. ;-)

The Davis BuryFlex(tm) has a very tough and slippery jacket and is
almost as flexible as the UF versions of the LMR cables

I've used quite a bit of the BuryFlex and like it. So far it has stood
up well.  I've not used any of the DX Engineering cable.

73

Roger (K8RI)