[TowerTalk] Low RFI diesel generator?

Rick Kiessig kiessig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 21:45:07 EDT 2013

I'm in the market for a new genset - probably a low-RPM diesel generator,
with 240VAC, clean sine wave output, audibly quiet / "silent" canopy, in the
10 to 20 KW range. It will be located fairly close to my radio equipment, so
I'm particularly interested in finding one that won't also create a bunch of
RFI.

Reliability is key. Low fuel consumption is also important. I may end up
adding a transfer switch to have it run my home in the event of a power
failure, along with an external fuel tank to increase maximum run time to
about 14 days.

I'm currently looking at Cummins, Kubota, UK Perkins and Lister Petter. I
would appreciate any recommendations for brands or models that you've found
to be good, as well as ones to avoid.

Thanks and 73,

Rick ZL2HAM