[TowerTalk] Low RFI diesel generator?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 27 01:21:12 EDT 2013

Many of the home backup gens here are 3600 rpm, not a bad compromise IMO
considering the very low duty cycle.  However, when I bought my Kohler
the advice was to not go 3600 as the very low loading on the engine
during the weekly test/exercise cycle frequently causes cylinder glazing
and that leads to high oil consumption.  So I ended up with a larger gen
(40kw) than I wanted at 1800 rpm.  1200 and 900 rpm gensets are
available for continuous duty and last nearly forever.  I talked to a
mechanic in Bora Bora who had a pair (100kw?) running for 15  years 24/7
with only injectors replaced.

I use propane (1000 gal tank) as fuel as diesel is tricky to store for
long periods.  In the US, the environmental codes for any useful gallon
quantity require double tanks and special permits, a hassle and
expense.  A little moisture (tank condensation) and you get bacterial
growth.  I had a boat with 750 gallons on board and periodic pumpouts
and filtering were needed in warm climates if the fuel wasn't used.
Also the cetane rating deteriorates with time. Propane (or natural gas)
is the cleanest least hassle least wear fuel, and propane is stable for
long term storage with no maintenance. Natural gas might not be
available in certain disaster situations.

As for RFI, none noticed from my spark plugged Kohler which is 50' from
one tower, but I've heard that the newer diesel electronic injectors in
light trucks can cause RFI in mobile applications.

As a suggestion, if diesel power is a must, you might ask the marine gen
dealers/installers/mechanics near you for some advice, they all need to
be RF quiet.  Some other marine/commercial brands - Northern Lights,
Caterpillar, Kohler, John Deere.  Larger Onans are Cummins/Onans.
Detroit Diesel makes bigger ones. Huge numbers of the legendary 71
series diesels (2 to16 cylinders) powered gensets in all sorts of
applications and are available surplus.

Grant KZ1W