[TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 5 17:12:01 EDT 2013

On 5/5/13 12:35 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> Refer to the instructions from the PE you hired, and do that.
> For my TX472, my PE (Hank KR7X) specified one ground rod/
> electrode per tower leg, connected using 2/0 wire or
> equivalent, with all rods/electrodes interconnected using
> 2/0 wire.  I did exactly that: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-tower
> A UFER ground was suggested but I didn't do that because it wasn't
> in the plans from the PE.
>
> Per NEC & NFPA, all grounds are tied into the electrical service
> ground using 4 AWG, according to instructions from a licensed
> electrician.
>
> vy 73,
> Bryan WA7PRC

NEC doesn't require 4 AWG, in general, but your local electrician might
have gone for 4, based on local knowledge.  Bear in mind that the local
"Authority Having Jurisdiction" (AHJ) is the final arbiter, which is why
it's worth having local input.  You NEVER want to get into a "but the
code says X" discussion with the local inspector. You *will* lose.