[TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat May 11 09:20:18 EDT 2013

On 5/11/13 6:11 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Note that the single wire systems Jim and Jim have described are very
> specialized DISTRIBUTION systems -- that is, for use by the POWER
> COMPANY. They are NOT permitted for premises wiring, because they are
> DANGEROUS, for the reasons noted.

ANd here I was, digging up my back yard to put in a ground return, so I
could scavenge one of the feeders to my house and sell it as aluminum
scrap.<grin>

Speaking of loop area and magnetic fields, I've always been tempted to
go out to Sylmar (where the HVDC line terminates) or stand under the
single wire to the ocean across the San Fernando Valley  and see if you
can detect the magnetic field, when they test the sea return and turn
off one of the regular conductors.