[TowerTalk] Force 12 B-1/B-1S Baluns

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Tue May 14 14:13:24 EDT 2013

Yes, the choke reactance may add to the coax braid reactance producing
an increase in the net CM impedance; in fact with certain lengths of
coax the braid impedance is high enough that you don't need a choke! But
now think about much more complicated it would get with something like a
triband beam where the single choke is operating with three different
electrical lengths of coax. The solid engineering solution is resistive
choke impedance and sufficient of it for the application.

Air-cored coax-wound chokes perform exactly like any high-Q
parallel-tuned circuit: very high impedance over a very narrow
bandwidth; reactive at all frequencies other than right at resonance;
tuning very susceptible to proximity effects. How many times have you
seen a coiled-coax choke taped to a boom - think about that in terms of
a high-Q parallel tuned circuit!

73,
Steve G3TXQ