[TowerTalk] How close to salt water is close enough?

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Fri May 17 12:28:05 EDT 2013

Once upon a time a long time ago in a city far far away(San Diego) I took
about an 18 month sabbatical, got a commercial radiotelephone lisc,  and
worked as a marine electronic field engineer. I worked primarily on VHF,
SSB, RADAR, SONAR, and Sat Nav on 10 million dollar tuna boats with helipads
on their pilot houses.  Salty air and salt spray are your enemy.  fresh
water can be your friend and rinsing salt off of things can be a good idea.
Dissimilar metals corrosion can eat a hole in aluminum where you have
attached a ring terminal or otherwise wreak havoc on connections between
multiple metals. It is imperative that moisture be kept away from anywhere
dissimilar metals are in contact.

Telescoping aluminum tubes held with clamps (a mainstay of many antennas)
need to be well protected. There are compounds sold for that purpose. For
added protection you can overcoat the clamped joints with a good silicon
rubber (RTV), not the kind that smells like vinegar as it cures.  GE 50 year
silicone caulk or equivalent is good stuff.  You want to make good
electrical connections, use liberal quantities of the "nox" brands of oily
anti-oxidant, wipe off the excess and coat generously with RTV.

Another type of corrosion to be concerned with is oxygen deprivation
corrosion. Google it to be informed and avoid related pitfalls.

Your informed efforts can result in life extension for your sky wire stuff
but the bottom line is that salt air will most likely shorten the useful
life of your expensive equipment.  Most ham gear is NOT engineered for a
marine environment. Electrical and mechanical performance of most ham gear
is degraded all too rapidly if you don't take steps to improve the
situation.

I swallowed the anchor at the turn of the century and moved inland 1400
miles.  Had I stayed on the coast I would be experimenting with powder
coating and similar processes for protecting exposed metallic components and
their connections.  We lived on our sailboat for 9 years and I used the
insulated backstay for a random wire antenna with a manual tuner.  As the
backstay was high quality stainless steel it was not a corrosion problem
(and not the best possible antenna either although I worked the world.
There will generally be more maintenance in a marine environment.  Products
like coax seal are worth using liberally wherever it can be applied if
needed.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

73,

Patrick AF5CK