[TowerTalk] Need Help For Cable Runs To Tower

Tod Olson tod at k0to.us
Sat May 25 18:24:51 EDT 2013

Like you I dug the trenches and placed the runs prior to getting the tower.

I have a separate EMC conduit for the 117 VAC/230 VAC

I have one 4 inch Diameter conduit through which I ran 3 CATV 3/4" diameter
hard lines and one CATV 1/2 in diameter hard line
I have 1 3 inch Diameter conduit through which I ran control cables
including the rotor control cable. I also used this conduit for high quality
coax that feeds 80 meter dipoles, etc.

The conduit I used was white PVC with no drain holes. I arranged for the
trench to dip in the middle and then arranged drainage into the ground
there. [in Idaho on the Snake River Plain the water table is 220 feet
down,]. At each end I placed angled PVC with a final 45 degree section which
keeps out rain. Condensate drains to the middle and disappears.

I have access boxes at regular distances so that I can pull additional lines
if needed. I have Dacron covered polyester line that goes from one access
box to the next in  a round-and-round configuration. The polyester line goes
though the 4 inch section in one direction and back the other direction
through the 3 inch section. I use this round-and-round line to pull through
the actual pulling line when I have added a cable.

Take time to think through exactly how you might install the initial cables
‹ best to install them when the trench is open and the PVC sections can be
moved. Think of how you might do maintenance if one of the feed lines needs
to be replaced. Planning for such small disasters will make it a lot less
stressful if one actually takes place.

I have brought all of my control and feed lines up out of the ground and
into a wooden box at the base of the tower I constructed out of plywood. You
do not need to shield these lines. In the box I have installed RF Common
Mode Chokes [I have them at the antenna feed points too]. The coax lines go
through high quality barrel connectors to the actual feed lines going up the
tower. I expect the tower feed lines will need replacing before the
underground ones and having the barrel connectors In a protected environment
will help when that time comes. Others have given pointers for how to handle
the lines when they enter your station/house.

I have a junction connector for the rotator in the box. I have 117 VAC in
the box. If desired I can bring the rotator controller out to the base of
the tower and easily run the rotator from the bottom of the tower.

I have used an AIM 4170 to characterize the several feed lines going to the
10-15-20 and 40 m beams. This allows me to test at the base of the tower and
check to see if something has changed significantly with any antenna.

Again, think about how you will use things, plan that maintenance will be
required and figure out how to organize things so they will be as easy as
possible for you to do.

Good Luck,

It takes a long time to get a good installation, but once it is in place you
will considerably lower stress.

Tod, K0TO